Monday, September 8, 2008

Nantes!

My first real day in Nantes. Mme Rochet spent 3-4 hours telling us about different things of the program (things like buses and when to sit down in front of french people et plus). My friends and I (yes I do have friends thank you very much) walked to Monoprix (a cheap grand-surface that sells everything) for lunch, and did a typical Tetri lunch... cold cuts on a bench in a park (except I didn't eat bread). Then, later in the afternoon, we had a guided tour of Nantes (and by guided I mean, a student-type Nantais). And then, I took the bus! It was an exciting moment.
I ran upon coming home and went to all the "tabac" in search of batteries for my camera. Which I found, unfortunately, something in my camera is definitely stuck. Tomorrow I will go in search of a photo store to see if they can fix it and if not, if they have other old pentax SLRs for sale.
3 Random things learned today:
Always eat with your hands on the table.
Never put bread on a plate; it belongs on the table.
Only ever say "Bonjour" to a person once a day.
With that, I will sign off with a picture of the view from my room.
Laura

3 comments:

Emily said...

I feel like such a savage for putting bread on plates all the time.
And that view is gorgeous.

page said...

The table etiquette is interesting. Apparently (according to Wikipedia) the hands above the table rule “comes from medieval times, where the king feared assassination. To make sure he was able to dine safely, all persons dining with him kept their hands above the table where they could be seen at all times. The action of putting your hands below the table was interpreted as an attempt to grab your dagger and assassinate the king.” Fascinating. By the way, the “zut à laura” header is very clever. Also, I’m jealous of your view, seeing as mine is of a parking lot.

Laura said...

its so funny that you said that about medieval times, because i told my friends here that!